Monday, November 26, 2007

caskets and crumpets

I've always found that the best part about working on a new ad campaign is the information I discover along the way. On rare occasion, I find a golden insight buried in my research that may actually make for a fair campaign. But more often than not, I find (seemingly) useless crap.

And I can't get enough of it.

At the moment, I am working on three campaigns, so, for the last two days, I've been living at Barnes and Noble under a pile of books - conspicuously taking detailed notes about how to run a funeral home and host a garden party.

Here are some neat facts I would like to share:


3 out of 4 Americans die without a will

A good trick to remember someone's name is to repeat it upon introduction.

Attila the Hun died of a nosebleed on his wedding night

To create good conversation flow, always seat introverted people next to extroverted.

General John Sedwick's dying words: "They couldn't even hit an elephant at this dis - "

Always introduce a woman before a man and the youngest before the eldest.

Walt Whitman's last word: "Shit."

Serve from the left. Clear from the right. (I should have already known this.)

The Golden Gate bridge is nicknamed the 'bridge of sighs' due to the high rate of suicide jumps.

As a guest, be sure to mention any food allergies to the host before an event.

Tennessee Williams choked to death on a cap to a bottle of nasal spray.


And my new favorite quote of the week:

"Once you've seen Britney Spears emerge from a limo without even her usual tiny slingshot of a panty to cover what's left of her dignity, you realize one important thing: Death is the only real taboo left in this country." - Cynthia Celain

2 comments:

RBass3000 said...

I like how you went back and forth between the helpful party etiquette and the morbidness of people's last words. Maybe you can host a classy funeral party.

The new slang that all the kids are saying nowadays when their pals or homies go back on their word and bail on plans is "Don't puss out like Brittney Spears". It's a new favorite. You can start it in Virginia and call it your own.

Anonymous said...

good points and the details are more precise than somewhere else, thanks.

- Norman