Saturday, October 13, 2007

Jefferson Davis was a Warlock

Yesterday afternoon I found myself walking down Monument Avenue looking at statues of confederate heroes when I was reminded of a conversation I had with my friends Mike and Jenny last summer in Chicago. When walking home from North Ave. beach, we passed a statue of a general on a horse with one hoof raised and got into a discussion about the relationship between the horse and it's rider in sculpture/art.

I think it went a little something like this:

(Horse vs. Rider)

four feet grounded = rider died of natural causes
one hoof up = rider died of war-related injury after battle
two hooves up = rider died in battle
horn on forehead = rider was a warlock/witch

Since that conversation, every time I see a statue of a war horse, I'm tempted to craft a false unicorn horn and place it on it's forehead.

My question for you:

Would this qualify as street art?

3 comments:

JL said...

i was there too.
and yes. that is considered street art. i know since i was in the group who gave that presentation.

di said...

i thought you were! consider this idea part of your intellectual property.

JL said...

why, hello. i've stumbled upon and/or stalked your blog, which is it? we'll never know. anyhoo, i think that's a great idea. and expect to see pictures of jazzy jeff riding mythical creatures in the near future. :)