Tuesday, February 5, 2008

a day in the life

(a 12 hour transcript of my super-duper tuesday at brandcenter)

8:30AM

arrive at school to this:



8:35AM

contemplate whether or not to wake up Derek



8:40AM

decide to take his picture instead

8:45AM

e-mail Fenske to see if I can sit in on his portfolio class this afternoon

9:00AM

go to my portfolio class

9:15AM

go off on a well-meaning rant about Walt Disney, the Walt Disney Corporation and the downfall of feature animation

9:30AM

Wayne: "I think this is just one of those things you have to work at really hard and figure out soon or just drop altogether"

9:30 - 11:00AM

sulk

11:00 - 12:00PM

lunch at Perly's

12:00PM

go to rooftop patio to 're-concept' for Disney



12:00 - 12:30PM

take pictures instead

12:30PM

talk to Micheal about ideas for my new website

12:35PM

Michael: "Jesus Diana! Those are people too!"



1:00PM

rick boyko comes out to patio

RB: (sarcastically) "Make yourselves comfortable!"

1:15PM

check my e-mail.

1:20PM

fenske finally replies/gives me permission to sit in on his 1:30 class ('if you even get this note on time') but warns me that I will probably be bored for the first 45 minutes

1:40PM

i get the note

Me: (to michael) "How does he know I'll be bored? I obviously asked to come to his class for a reason! And I can't believe he responded 10 minutes before class! If he wants me there now, he'll have to come out and get me!"

1:45PM

fenske's class comes out to the patio to enjoy the nice weather for 45 minutes



2:00PM

Natalie: "What happened to your shirt? I need to take a picture of this."




2:15

second creepy sleeping picture of the day



2:30PM

fenske's class goes back in

2:45PM

rick boyko comes back out

RB: "You've been out here all day!"
Me:"......Yup."

2:50PM

random first year comes out for a smoke break

RFY: "Copywriter?"
ME: "Yup....Art Director?"
RFY: "Yup..."

2:55PM

ME: "...Well, I have to go to monitor the lab now..."

3:00PM

in the lab I find a small group of students making monsters out of sculpty clay for a class project

3:01PM

my partner and i decide to brainstorm for disney while making monsters out of sculpty clay

3:05PM

Me: "So yeah, I really thing this whole 'magic' angle is sooo expected for dis...holy shit! Your snake looks wasted! We have to make him a beer bottle!"

3:25PM



3:30PM

Rob, my boss of sorts, walks up to our table.

Rob: "So....how is that Final Cut Tutorial that you were supposed to finish by monday going?

Me: "Well....I got half way through...then something weird happened...i don't know what....but I'm familiar with the way the program works now, the only thing I have left to learn are the tools...."

3:45PM



4:00PM

Leslie: "Oh my god....here comes (name deleted), pretend like you're talking to me about something really important..."

Me: "So, yeah...i think an underground campaign for disney would be really unexpected..."

4:30PM

Me: "I wish we had tweezers."

5:00PM

random first year girl comes up to our table

RFY: "Are you Diana? The printer is out of paper"

Me: "Uuuuuuuuugggghhhhh.......ok. But before I go, you have to check out the onions on this hotdog."

RFY: "Oh my god. How long did that take you?"

Me: "Like a half hour."



5:30PM

leslie leaves for another meeting

6:00PM

my shift ends/alex joins my table

6:30PM

EB walks up the table

EB: "do you need a ride home? I can wait for you to clean up."

Me: "Thanks, but I still have a few things to take care of before I leave"

7:00PM

Me: "He looks a little pigeon-toed, don't you think?"

7:30PM

Alex: "You know what he needs? A platypus tail."

8:00PM

my hunger finally gets the best of me, so I call it a night.




8:30PM

on my walk home, I realize that although I still need to come up with an ad campaign by next week, learn final-cut tomorrow, and grocery shop and do laundry tonight, for some reason, I haven't felt this accomplished in months.

you're welcome, laura and dan.

4 comments:

Bukes said...

Dear Di -

Please do more "day in the life" posts. They... are perfect.

Your friend,

leslie.

JL said...

i concur. i love this post. :)

Anonymous said...

pure awesomeness.

monkeyama said...

I baked your hot dog and it got a little overdone.

I'm sorry for that.

The orange snake made it into the ad.

So thanks again,
-Dan