Monday, April 28, 2008

Di-orama

It started about 6 years ago with a sketch.

She wore pigtails and owned a wardrobe of three dresses - green, red and purple.

Some days, when she was feeling a little more adventurous than usual, she wore a dress with a pocket.

For the most part, she was a sad little girl. Where her sadness stems from, I'm not entirely sure - but I feel its at least partially due to her lack of facial features and hands.

Since her creation, she's popped up in my sketchbook on a regular basis, usually during the most inopportune times. Like when I'm inside on a sunny day trying to think of ideas to sell orange juice to mothers.

But sometimes she helps me out. A few years ago, she made her local debut in my first ad ever produced.

It was for a used record shop.

The last I've seen of her was about a year ago, when she starred in her own limited edition comic strip, "Bad at Life".

So, when it came time to start thinking of an idea for my portfolio website, the decision was easy.

I was going to take my sad little girl with no hands and make her famous.

A real internet star.

But to do that, I couldn't just do a sketch.

Oh no.

Her worldwide debut couldn't be reduced to a sketch.

It had to be something bigger.

Something that would be beyond my little girl with no hand's wildest imagination.

Like her very own place.

A sad apartment.

With sad walls.

And on her sad walls, she could hang her very own sad art.

But, most importantly, it could be sad three-dimensional art.

So I bought her a nice little space on the web, and started building.

And building.

And building.

My friends and I hosted nights dedicated just for building.

I even videotaped the building.

And, after about two and a half months of building, I stopped.

And started building in photoshop.

And, for the last 48 hours, I've been installing the wiring in her house using dreamweaver.

Finally, 6 long years of 2D slavery ended early this morning, when my sad little girl with no hands jumped off her piece of paper and into the world wide web.

Now, without further ado, I present to you (drum roll, clearing throat, etc., etc.)


Her website:





If you'll notice in the upper right hand side of the page, there is a large black box with a tiny box within it.

Now, I don't know much about "technology", but I'm pretty sure that tiny box is supposed to be a big picture. More specifically, a big picture of my sad little girl in her sad little room with her sad little art.

If anyone has a clue how to code for firefox, she would be much obliged.

After all, you have to be when you have no hands.

No comments: